Skip to main content


Citywide Road Events Team

The Citywide Road Events Team is responsible for facilitating events that take place on or affect the public highway. This includes giving permission to use a certain part of the public highway, ensuring 'events' are co-ordinated with any other works taking place on the public highway. When necessary a Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) is issued to allow the event to take place. A TTRO would be necessary to close any roads or to suspend parking etc.

To apply for a TTRO for an event (including Edinburgh Play Streets and resident street parties), please complete the application form and return it to at least 12 weeks prior to the event. 

We would recommend you refer to the below Guide before you apply to close a road for events or activity. As per the Guide, please note, bunting is not permitted to be erected on any street furniture (e.g. street lighting columns and traffic signal poles) or over any of the public roads (including footways). Decorations can still be used in private areas of land, including gardens.


Citywide Road Events Team
G.4, Waverley Court
The City of Edinburgh Council
4 East Market Street
0131 529 3400
Email Roads

Road Occupation Permit

Any structures placed on footpaths or road require a road occupation permit

Edinburgh Trams

If your event takes place on or near tramway (within 10 metres), you are required to apply for an Authority to Work (AtW) permit. The form and further guidance is available on the Edinburgh Trams website. Please note, requests for a permit for planned works must be submitted 21 days before the work is planned to start.